How To Smell Expensive: The Best Elegant Perfumes For Ladies

There is nothing better than smelling amazing, am I right? It's all well and good putting an outfit together but without those final touches, like fragrance, it always feels as though it's missing something. 

I truly believe that perfume can make or break your style and it's vital to find a scent that matches the theme of your outfit and what you're trying to convey. 

A massive trend at the moment is to look like a rich girl, without actually having a bank balance that matches this aesthetic. 

While clothing certainly helps you achieve this, fragrance really puts the cherry on the top.

So, in this article, I'll be sharing some of my tried and tested favourite perfumes that make you smell expensive. If you've been looking for the best elegant perfumes for women then look no further!

Top 5 Elegant Women's Perfumes That Make You Smell Expensive

I'm such a huge fan of perfume and I like to adjust what I'm wearing according to the season, my outfit and my general mood. 

I don't believe in having a signature scent, although there are perfumes that I wear more frequently than others. But by limiting yourself to a single scent, you're missing out on the wonderful fragrances that are out there. 

With that in mind, here are my top elegant perfumes for women. 

Dior Ambre Nuit


Ambre Nuit is from the Dior Collection Prive which boasts a range of high-end fragrances that really pack a punch. I have owned several perfumes from this collection (they're all unisex) but Ambre Nuit remains a strong favourite. 

This is a really warm and inviting scent that has great depth to it. The amber notes come in at the base along with woody accords of cedar and guiaic wood as well as patchouli. 

Before this, we're treated to a much fresher, yet just as rich, waft of bergamot, grapefruit and pink pepper. 

Ambre Nuit is an incredibly well performing scent with longevity that goes on forever (I've left it on coats that have hung in the wardrobe for a whole season and can still smell it when I get them back out. What's more, the projection on this scent certainly fills a room but it's not cloying or offensive. 

In short, this is a beautiful scent that will get you noticed for all the right reasons. 

Penhaligon's Halfeti

Halfeti is another unisex fragrance that's become really popular on social media lately. That's mostly because it is an oud-based perfume and everyone seems to be jumping on that bandwagon right now. I'll tell you a secret, I've been wearing oud perfumes for years and I'm totally in love with them. 

Oud is popular in Middle Eastern fragrances and there's something about this type of scent that feels expensive and luxurious. Halfeti is no different.

I'm actually wearing this scent as I type this and, after spraying more than four hours ago, I still catch very strong whiffs of it as I move. 

The fragrance starts off with a blast of saffron, bergamot and cypress before melting into a heart of rose and jasmine. As it dries down, Halfeti opens up to a warm, woody base of oud, sandalwood, amber, leather and musk.

Again the sillage and longevity of this fragrance is super impressive so if you're looking for something that will last all day, it's a real winner!

Tom Ford Mandarino Di Amalfi 


I discovered Mandarino Di Amalfi last summer, even though the scent was initially launched in 2014. But last summer, I really wanted to find a fragrance that encapsulated a warm, breezy afternoon on the Italian Riviera, and this one really delivered the goods!

Mandarino Di Amalfi is a citrus aromatic fragrance for men and women with notes of lemon, mint, grapefruit and blackcurrent at the head. It moves through a floral heart containing, among other accords, orange blossom and jasmine; two of my favourite floral scents. 

At the base, this elegant perfume for women fills the room with amber, musk and vetiver. It starts to feel much warmer that its fresh opening would have you believe and really represents a rich, elegant woman enjoying champagne by the ocean. 

If you don't like a perfume that projects as strongly then I think this one would work well. While the sillage is noticeable, it's not as in your face as the previous two scents. However, Mandarino Di Amalfi still lasts as long so a few spritzes will easily see you through the day. 

Chanel Chanel No 5

Hear me out; Chanel No 5 isn't a granny perfume!

I know that's the reputation it has, especially with younger generations but I really feel as though this is one of the most elegant perfumes on the planet. 

No 5 does start off as quite cloying with its heavy aldehydic accords coupled with florals like ylang ylang, jasmine, lily of the valley and rose. But there's a beautiful freshness to the crisp start of this perfume and I'd urge you to allow it to dry down so you can discover more. 

I wear Chanel No 5 when I want to feel classic and timeless. It makes me feel like a 1950s Hollywood starlet and there's nothing else that brings about this persona in me. 

The base of this scent is rich, warm and woody with notes of sandalwood and patchouli. There's also a hit of vanilla as the perfume dries down, giving it a sweetness that adds a little modernity to it. 

I'd recommend Chanel No 5 to women that are looking for a true classic that'll never go out of style. What's more, it's perfect for everyday wear as it's not too strong (at least once it hits the heart notes) but delivers a delicate and elegant sillage. 

Prada Paradoxe

One of the most recent additions to my perfume collection was Paradoxe by Prada. It was made famous by the wonderful Emma Watson who promoted the perfume and I think she's the epitome of modern elegance. 

So for younger women that want to capture that youthful grace, I think this is a perfect elegant perfume. 

Paradoxe is an amber floral fragrance that opens with notes of bergamot, pear and tangarine. This quickly fades into a stunning floral heart containing orange blossom, neroli and jasmine. It's super feminine but there's a demanding quality to it that makes elegance edgy. 

At the base, Paradoxe features musk, vanilla and amber so it feels very warm and sweet. I feel as though this fragrance turns heads every time I wear it and I'm often asked what scent it is. 

The longevity of this one is slightly less than the other fragrances I've listed here but that's not to say you'll need to continually reapply it. I just feel it fades to a skin scent more quickly. However, upon initially spraying it, you're going to grab attention wherever you go. 

How To Get Expensive Fragrances Cheap

Most of the fragrances I have discussed in this guide do require something of an investment. However, I am super confident in all of these elegant perfumes and feel as though they are worth spending a little extra on. Plus, it's coming up to Christmas; why not treat yourself?

Of course, we all need to watch our wallet from time to time but there is some good news. I have recently discovered a dupe company called Noted Aromas (I am not affiliated with them) that produce some very impressive copies of high end fragrances. 

Having tried dupes in the past, I was never impressed but Noted Aromas' scents smell just like their original counterparts and have amazing projection and longevity. So, I'd highly recommend taking a look. 

What's more, Amazon is a fantastic place to find offers on your favourite perfumes and there are often special deals which can save you even more money. This proves that you don't have to drain your bank to smell elegant and beautiful.
Check out some Hot Fragrances here!

Comments

Popular Posts