Are Skinny Jeans Still Fashionable? - A Guide For The Lost Millennial

I was born in 1985. By the year 2000, I was wearing skinny jeans like they were going out of fashion. But perhaps now, they have. 

Even in my late 30's, I find myself turning to my ever-faithful skinny jeans but I keep hearing gen-Z saying they're so out of style. 

So, what's the truth? Are skinny jeans out of fashion in 2023? I guess that all depends on how you determine the word 'fashion.'

The Millennial's Love Of Skinny Jeans

I can't see my love for skinny jeans ever fading. There's something about the way that they hug your figure and look so good with a loose-fitting top that, for me, won't ever go out of style. 

Now, I don't for a second want to go back to the ultra low waist skinny jean; my post 4 children body would never thank me. Nor would the people that got to see my wobbly belly when I was walking down the street. 

But the high waist skinny jean is something that's become a staple for so many of us millennials. I think the reason for this is that they're such a versatile item of clothing. You can dress them up or wear them casually and they look great with pretty much any type of shoe. Gen-Z, you don't know what you're missing out on!

I'll also admit that those of us born between 1981 and 1996 are pretty stubborn. Never did I think I'd be using the term 'back in my day' but it's slowed crept into my vocabulary. You see, growing up in that era was a pretty special time and we all have some seriously fond memories. 

We lived through the introduction of social media, the advent of the accessible internet and the first use of the mobile phone for the masses. As such, many of our memories were much better preserved than those of our parents and nostalgia is very easy to come by on the likes of 90s-loving TikTok accounts.

So, now we revel in the fact that one of our staple fashion pieces has (almost) stood the test of time and we'll be damned if we're going to let it go!

Have Skinny Jeans Gone Out Of Fashion?

I have a 17 year old daughter who seems to think she's a fashion queen. Evidently, I think the complete opposite and wonder what on earth she's wearing half the time. 

That just shows our generational differences and it's rare that either of us will compliment the other on her outfit choice. That's not at all a dig at my daughter or her towards me; we're just from different times and have different styles. 

If you've been watching TikTok you'll likely have seen the swathes of gen-Z kids telling us millennials to get back in our box and take our skinny jeans with us. 

But I genuinely believe that the skinny jean still has a place. 

It might not be considered the latest trend anymore but it's all about how you want to present yourself. If skinny jeans look good on you and you can create a chic, timeless outfit with them, they why not?

For all intents and purposes though, it would be safe to say that skinny jeans aren't what you'd call 'in fashion' anymore. 

Alternatives To Skinny Jeans - How To Update Your Style (If You Want To)

If I were to listen to my daughter then every pair of skinny jeans I owned would be banished into the fashion archives. Personally, I'm not ready or willing to let them go but I know a lot of millennials are keen to move with the times. 

So, what can you wear instead of skinny jeans? Well, fortunately, the fashion world has a few answers when it comes to modernising your denim. 
  • Straight cut jeans are a great alternative to skinny jeans as they still hug your figure at the waist and bum. However, they flow elegantly down your legs and give a really chic silhouette. I'm actually wearing a pair of straight cut jeans as we speak. 
  • Wide leg jeans are also very much in style at the moment and go really nicely with a fitted top and cropped jacket. 
  • Loose fit jeans, like the ones we had in the 90's are back with a bang. I'd hazard a guess that this would be a passing trend but if you like to keep up with the latest styles, then this is one to go for. 
  • Modern bootcut jeans have a lovely high waist and are an excellent way to elevate an outfit. They work really well with a fitted blouse or crisp white shirt and let's not forget how comfortable they can be. 
  • Boyfriend jeans are big business right now and if you're looking for a more relaxed fit then they'll be perfect for you. However, it is worth noting that they can often look too baggy and oversized so make sure you find a pair with a good fit. 
  • The flared jean is also back in fashion and these are a great way to create a more interesting silhouette without having to sacrifice the hip hugging design. 

Comments

Popular Posts